Mechanical Engineering Specialists
• Technical control of all Foundry Operations.
• Introduction of all new products within agreed timeframes (including samples manufacture and the compilation of samples reports), reviewing and monitoring performance daily with team leaders/supervisors.
• Generation and maintenance of all manufacturing and process Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s)
• Lead, manage and drive continuous improvement in connection with product, process, and people. Thus, ensuring that castings can be produced in the most efficient and most economical way whilst minimizing scrap and rework cycles.
• Adherence to all Health & Safety regulations and requirements, following company policy in reporting and dealing with non-compliance.
• Develop a culture within the workforce of business improvement recognizing the importance of quality workmanship delivering right first time.
• Technical troubleshooting of tooling issues, equipment issues and core make or assembly issues.
• Supervise and lead engineers and technicians who are responsible for any/all technical aspects of casting manufacture including cost/lead time reduction through waste elimination.
• Ensure all products are produced in line with customer specification, performing checks where necessary.
• Identify root causes and take effective action to resolve any/all technical casting problems in hand and be solution focused.
• Liaise with Commercial, Sales, Quality and production staff regarding techniques, dimensional specifications, and quality in line with customer drawing & specification.
• Submit Monthly reports and as requested on performance and progress.
• Identify opportunities for improvements in capital equipment and develop business cases for purchase/integration.
• Review and improve both existing and new tooling, gating and risers using solidification modelling results.
• Construct, document and implement suitable heat treatment cycles/profiles, where necessary, to achieve the desired mechanical properties for relevant products.
• Develop and deploy standardized engineering practices, processes, tools, and methods.
• Implement and execute engineering changes to meet customer, technical or financial requirements.
• Pursue operational excellence as subject matter expert for casting and heat treatment processes.
• Excellent interpersonal skills along with a strong managerial attitude.
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
• Ability to communicate at all levels, with customers and colleagues.
• Ability to manage a number of tasks concurrently and meet deadlines.
• Have excellent knowledge of ferrous foundry environments including induction melting, greensand and no-bake moulding, coldbox coremaking, methoding and heat treatment.
• Ability to read and interpret 2-D drawings, 3-D models and product specifications from which foundry manufacturing techniques such as pattern layout, core design and initial runner/riser/feeder shape and size can be derived.
• Good knowledge of Health and Safety within the (foundry) workplace.
• Proven ability to lead and develop a development/engineering/technical team in a foundry environment.
• Ability to solve technical issues in a logical and systematic fashion and lead others in the solution to such problems.
• Ability to compile and analyze technical data, write reports, and present technical information to various groups.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications with a working knowledge of casting simulation software such as NOVACAST or MAGMASOFT.
• Ability to interpret technical journals, papers and other related material and apply such principles where beneficial to the cost and/or quality of manufacture.
• Working knowledge of Design for Six Sigma principles
• Strong Project Engineering/Planning and Communication/Presentation skills are a must for this position.
• Higher Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Cast Metals Technology, Metallurgy or Materials Engineering, or related technical field.
• 10+ years of experience in a ferrous casting facility (5 of which should be in a technical role)
• In-depth knowledge of the induction melting and founding of grey, ductile and alloyed irons as well as plain carbon, manganese and stainless steels is a must.
• Working knowledge of high pressure, greensand moulding, no-bake moulding systems and coldbox coremaking
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with casting simulation.
• Application of heat treatment as applied to plain carbon and stainless steels.
• A working knowledge of the production of copper base alloys such as leaded gun metals and silicon bronzes would be an advantage.
• Continuous Improvement experience, coupled to a Lean 6σ qualification (such as green or black belt).
• Personal computer skills are required.
• Extensive experience with word processing and spreadsheet development is an advantage.
Contact Anna Gale: